Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thing #6 - iTouch Apps

When my library received its 12 iTouches last December, it was my first exposure to this Web 3.0 mobile device. They are so cool! As is often the case, many of my students already knew how to use them and were familiar with several of the apps I have loaded. So far, I've only downloaded free apps, but there are so many of those, it's quite sufficient for starters. Downloading was very easy and I've even mastered the syncing process, which I do about once a week to keep the selection on every iTouch consistent and to delete the "extra" apps that students seem to be able to sneak on! Aside from all the fun "game" apps, there are many educational opportunities for using iTouches at school. The iTouch is definitely a cross-curricular tool as it has great apps in all areas - science, social studies, math, language arts, music, fine arts, etc. It can be used for research purposes, for note-taking, for watching videos, listening to and creating original music, creating podcasts, a quick reference source, tutorials/flashcards, micro-blogging, and much more. Here's a link to a comprehensive list of ways to use your iTouch for educational purposes:

http://edcommunity.apple.com/ali/story.php?itemID=16472

One of my continuing concerns about using iTouches with classes though is how to prevent theft. I've already had one "stolen" although fortunately, I noticed it was missing right away and was able to work with the classroom teacher and administration to recover it within 30 minutes (even though he had managed to peel off all labels and barcodes, my little thief neglected to notice that the name "Spring Branch ISD" was engraved on the back of the iTouch!!). While I fully understand we want the new technology to be available, visible and in use at all times, there's no way I can be engaged in teaching and at the same time have my eyes on all 12 iTouches. Any suggestions for monitoring ideas would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment